Orange and Almond Cake
Gluten free, moist cake with good fats.
4 blood oranges
6 free range eggs
175g (half cup) maple syrup
1 tsp baking powder
250g almond meal
20g flaked almonds
- Put the oranges in a saucepan and cover with water. Gently bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to fan-forced 1800
- Line a cake tin with baking paper
- Drain the oranges, and slice in quarters, removing any pips.
- Use a food processor to blend the oranges into a paste
- Add the eggs and blend again
- Next add the maple syrup, almond meal and baking powder and blend again
- Pour the mixture into the tin and sprinkle the flaked almonds on the top
- Bake for an hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin
Nutrition per serving